It’s highly likely that you use natural gas in some way in your home. It’s the most common way to power furnaces, as well as stoves and ovens. Natural gas is inexpensive compared to electricity, and it’s convenient and burns cleanly. It’s no wonder that it is so widespread across the country for use in homes and businesses.
But using natural gas brings with it a note of caution: carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is not actually natural gas—this is a common misunderstanding—but a byproduct of the combustion of natural gas. Anything that burns can produce CO, but the most common source in a home is natural gas appliances like a furnace.