My Furnace Just Came on and I Can Smell Burning!

Monday, December 5th, 2016

This is a common concern that any HVAC company hears from customers during the start of cooler weather. When furnaces first turn on for the season, people often notice a peculiar acrid odor coming from the vents. Nobody wants to smell anything burning in their house, since it immediately creates worry of an electrical or gas fire somewhere. However, in most cases this burning odor from a furnace as it first comes on isn’t a reason to worry.

Continue Reading

Let’s Talk Carbon Monoxide and Protecting Your Family from It

Monday, November 14th, 2016

It’s highly likely that you use natural gas in some way in your home. It’s the most common way to power furnaces, as well as stoves and ovens. Natural gas is inexpensive compared to electricity, and it’s convenient and burns cleanly. It’s no wonder that it is so widespread across the country for use in homes and businesses.

But using natural gas brings with it a note of caution: carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is not actually natural gas—this is a common misunderstanding—but a byproduct of the combustion of natural gas. Anything that burns can produce CO, but the most common source in a home is natural gas appliances like a furnace.

Continue Reading

Curious about Heating Maintenance? Here’s What We Do

Monday, November 7th, 2016

Even in the heat of Las Vegas, we encourage all of our residential customers to schedule a fall inspection and tune-up for their heating system. This regular maintenance is essential if you want your heat pump (or furnace) to work for as many years as possible, run into a limited number of repair problems, continue to function reliably, and keep your power bills under control. The heater won’t lay dormant the whole winter, so make sure that it’s ready to go when it needs to.

Continue Reading

How Often Should You Test You Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

Monday, February 8th, 2016

Does your home use natural gas to power any of its appliances, such as a furnace, stove, oven, or clothes dryer? Chances are high that it does, since natural gas is a less expensive energy source than electricity, and it’s also convenient.

However, using natural gas in a home does bring with it the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless byproduct of the combustion of natural gas, which makes it difficult to detect it when its levels rise. You must have CO detectors in your home that will alert you when the concentration of CO reaches potentially hazardous levels. The alarm will give you time to leave the house and call for help before anyone can suffer from the adverse effects of CO exposure.

Continue Reading

How High Efficiency Furnaces End Up Saving Money

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015

The heating season in Las Vegas—that is, the season when we need to have our heating systems running—is relatively short. But that makes it important to ensure that we have heaters that run efficiently. You don’t want to see an enormous utility bill arrive during the month you had the furnace keeping the house warm become the unit is a massive energy waster.

Continue Reading

Gas Furnace vs. Electric Furnace: Is There a Clear Choice?

Tuesday, November 10th, 2015

Across the country, furnaces are the most common type of heating system. Whether you’re in a place that experiences deep cold temperatures for long stretches, like Minneapolis, or place like… well, like Las Vegas… that has extremely mild winters, you probably have a furnace of some kind to handle your comfort when the mercury in the outdoor thermometer drops.

Continue Reading